Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chapters 1-5 Blog Entry Jamie



The novel "House of the Scorpion" by Nancy Farmer is very intriguing.  Her writing style tells all without saying anything.  Subtle clues in the first 5 chapters really capture my attention.  I wonder, why is a young child living in a white poppy field?  My prior knowledge allows me to understand that these poppies are used to produce opium, an addictive drug.  Why is Matt forced to be so lonely, when there are children living so close to him?  In these five chapters we find out that Matt is a clone, and he is referred to as an animal.  Why is he a clone?  What need is there for a clone?  The secrets in these chapters pile up and leave me to draw many different conclusions.  

This section is particularly memorable because of the hints in it that I can tell will be brought up again later on.  In this section of the novel I find myself trying to figure out what will happen next.  Farmer is a detailed author and this section is very exciting.  I think she chooses to make the opening section incredibly interesting so that right from the beginning we are drawn in enough to finish it.  Personally, I think that she has chosen to write this section this way because she wants us to use this information later on.  If it isn't interesting, we won't remember it.  

Jamie 9.4 


No comments:

Post a Comment