Thursday, March 1, 2012

Stephanie's Discussion #1

What are you wondering about?
When reading the book House of the Scorpion. One of the first things I noticed about this book was where it was located. I constantly and am still wonder why it's located in poppy fields? I do know that these fields of poppies are used to make opium and lots of rich drug lords live there. Perhaps in the rest of the book I will find out the why factor. 


Has anything struck you about this section?
I have wondered why is there so many children living near and in the fields. Why are children associated with the drug world? I also wondered why Matt was created in the first place? Why did he have to grow in a cow? why not something else like another animal? 


Why is Farmer making the choices she did in the first section?
I think that Farmer made the choice to make the book in this setting because many of the characters could get money from the drugs. It is a different, more original setting than most books, where is either in a city or in the country side.

By: Stephanie 9.4

No comments:

Post a Comment