Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jada's Blog Post #2

Farmer describes Matt through his thoughts, interests, actions, and how others view him; she does not describe Matts physical appearance. I found this incredibly interesting since most authors will start off by saying, “The tall tanned blonde known as John said…” or “Rogers bright blue eyes captured each aspect of…” One way or another the character is always described based on physical traits, Farmer however, has not. My imagination projects Matt as a dark skinned boy with mid length dusty brown hair, big curious blue eyes, and a skinny physique; Farmer in no way described Matt this way, it is just what I see based on the facts she has stated about the boys personallity. She brought Matt to life through thoughts and emotions he feels, along with the people around him, it is not what most authors will typically do making it all the more interesting to read. The reason I picture Matt the way I do is he is speaking of nature most of the time and is surrounded by it for the first six years of his life, this gave me the impression that Matt would be a very humble kid. Having only observed people most of his life I figured he would be shy and anti-social (Which was proven after he was put in Rosa’s care, since he refused to speak to anyone with a fear of being punished) towards anyone older or younger than him. This way of character development is strange to me, that is probably why it keeps me intrigued.  I can picture Matt however I want without worrying about getting it wrong. That's what interests me the most so far.

1 comment:

  1. Thats a good point, although you can get it wrong, and this is how.

    Being the not-so-observant person I am, I took no notice of that, and only started to realize that i had no idea what he looked like, and i didn't notice until about chapter 15, when he was at his "birthday" party turning 14, while i was still envisioning him as a small toddler warbling around, barley able to speak. This fact that i was clueless about this for such a long time without knowing it really shocked me.

    I'm really glad that I'm not the only one confused.

    ReplyDelete